Sunday, February 8, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint


The ecological footprint is the measure of the amount of land and sea needed to regenerate what we consume. Currently it would take about 1.3 earths to keep sustaining life.

I used the Earth Day Network Footprint Calculator, and found that it would take 4.1 Earths to sustain a lifestyle like mine. This is quite surprising to me. I had an environmental health class when I was in high school, and since then I have tried to conserve more resources. In other ways this doesn't surprise me. Although I drive a motorcycle that gets about 50mpg, I can only drive that for half of the year. The rest of the year, I drive a 1992 Buick Century. I don't think that any of the exhaust even makes it through the catalitic converter. I have also tried to recycle, but it is very hard to do when none of the people I live with will do the same. The quiz did have some helpful tips to reduce waste. One of the tips was to buy Energy Star rated appliances. This is actualy something I try to do. The quiz also told what would happen if everybody followed these tips.

I did a few other quizes and didn't really like them as much as the Earth Day Network footprint calculator. I found some of them confusing to read and understand.

5 comments:

  1. Randy,

    I agree it is very difficult to be completely environmental friendly in our society. I feel like I am doing a pretty good job myself except our vehicles. We did have a small vehicle before we had our third child, which wouldn't fit 3 car seats and a stroller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did the quiz say about what would happen if everyone followed the tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The people you live with have a big impact on the way you live. I bet if you start recycling maybe your roommates would too?! I didn't know a motorcycle got 50 mpg! I think i need one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy,

    Driving a motorcycle is very helpful for gas usage. Also, using today's new energy saving technologies is deffinetly a good suggestion. Glad to see you are interested in making efforts to conerve energy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy,

    It's good to know that the environmental health class you took in high school made you want to conserve more resources. I hope this class helps all of us make at least some little change in our lifestyles to do that as well. Like I keep saying, it's the little things that can help just as much.

    ReplyDelete